8/07/2010

11 - OTHALA

Also known as the Odal rune, used by the Nazi. Here is an old poem:

Eþel byþ oferleof æghwylcum men,
gif he mot ðær rihtes and gerysena on
brucan on bolde bleadum oftast.
An estate is very dear to every man,
if he can enjoy there in his house
whatever is right and proper in constant prosperity.
D-Thinker
Paintings were not done on paper as before, but I decided to use Corel Painter 11.
Which does respond better to expression than to painting with real brushes, together with a Bamboo tablet. Assume all other images now will be done in this much better manner. I will also redo the first card of this set.....
I would say that Othala represents the essence of change, but unlike the I Ching, which represents the circumstances and consequences of change. One may argue that it represents one's homeland, but what is the meaning of one's homeland - it could be more connected to a place? For it is in one's place of home, that one grows up i.e that one changes, internally through perspective and externally when reacting to what is life! My variations of the symbol are my own....

No comments: